In order to accurately evaluate a saddle fit issue, a "hands-on", on site approach is best. We travel to your farm or place of boarding in a 15' box truck equipped with work bench for flocking and a selection of 60+ demo saddles and consignments to try. (See pictures at right.) I am happy to look at the fit of ANY brand of English saddle! We represent the Albion, Duett, Black Country, Thorowgood, Kent & Masters and Fairfax lines of quality English saddles and accessories. (Please visit our SHOP for more information about the saddles we carry.)
Kate Wilson, SMS QSF
- Year long apprenticeship with Society of Master Saddler's Master Saddler, May 1995- 1996
- Working yard saddler for 16 years - several trips to UK to work with Albion Saddlemakers and qualified members of The Society of Master Saddlers
- Founder and owner of Dutchess Bridle & Saddle LLC, July 1999
- Attended The Society of Master Saddlers' Foundations of Saddle Fitting Course, UK, August 2002 and inaugural Foundations of Saddle Fitting USA course, May 2005
- Earned Qualified Saddle Fitters (QSF) Certification through the course given by The Society of Master Saddlers, UK, August 2006
- Attended QSF Refresher Course, UK, July 2008
- Assistant lecturer at the Foundations of Saddle Fitting Course, USA: May 2007, May 2009, November 2010
- Featured in articles appearing in Dressage Today,Practical Horsemanand Equus
- Horse owner and dressage rider, 20 years
Being a working saddler has given me the ability to view the inner workings of almost every saddle available on the market today. This insight helps me in the evaluation of the saddle's fit and any adjustment solutions that can be made. I strive to keep informed about the latest trends and products that continually flood the equine consumer market to better serve my customers questions and concerns with their horses' equipment.
In addition to being a saddler and saddle fitter, I also own my own horses and they continue to challenge and inspire me in every aspect of their care, conditioning and comfort. They are my best teachers in recognizing the critical need for well fitting equipment especially the fit of their saddles. I have had a difficult to fit Arab mare, an Arab/Clydesdale cross and a flat backed Hanoverian/TB. I am now a proud owner of a very round Georgian Grande (Friesian/Saddlebred)!
As a rider, I also recognize the need for a saddle to be well suited for my body type. I strive to educate riders on the fundamental points of saddle fit as outlined by The Society of Master Saddlers in recognizing their vital interconnectivity between horse and rider. I believe this education takes riders beyond just fixing the saddle fit problem and into a realm of deeper understanding, communication and effectiveness for both horse and rider. I love my work and love sharing it with other people. There is almost nothing more satisfying than a happy horse and rider!
Your equipment should help in every aspect of your journey together, not hinder.
SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT
Visit our Calendar for appointment availability where you can request an appointment on-line! You can also contact us by calling (845-533-0002 X1) or email@example.com for availability.
We will need to know the following information:
- evaluation of current saddle -AND/OR-
- interested in a new or used saddle -AND/OR-
- evaluation of current saddle and looking to purchase somethig else
- what discipline of saddle interested in for purchase (e.g., dressage, jumping, GP)
- where you and/or the horse is located
- how many horses and saddles need to be looked at
- how many people are interested (if for group)
The average appointment takes about 2 hours which includes a notated history of rider, saddle and horse, wither tracings, photos, saddle fit evaluation and/or looking at new saddles for purchase and riding the horse. Horses should be sound and able to be ridden. Riders should be prepared and able to ride the horse for new saddle purchases and for re-adjustments. Jumping/Eventing clients must have their trainer present for new saddle purchases.
Appointments are available on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.We do not schedule appointments on Wednesdays, Fridays or Sundays. All available appointment times and locations are listed on ourCalendar.
STABLE CALL FEES AND FLOCKING:
All fees are due at the time of the appointment - cash, check, VISA, MC, AMEX or DISC. On-site flocking ($95) and/or repair work is charged IN ADDITION to the stable call fee and charged at that time. Stable call fees are priced PER PERSON and are NOT divided. Please see Information on Appointments and Fees for details about individual and multiple person appointments. All new saddle purchases require a deposit at time of order.
Prices subject to change without notice. Please contact us with any questions. Thank you!